In the class Literature and Human Experience, we have explored literature that has been produced by LGBT writers. These writers have made a positive impact on those who have not been able to come out of the closet or intend to reveal themselves.
Reading this kind of literature has been very useful in understanding what they have gone through in revealing themselves to others. It has also made me to come aware that this kind of work does exist and that it should not be ignored. it brought back memories when I was in elementary and middle school where I would read stories and poems that Langston Hughes had written in which my favorite one was called "Dreams." My literature teachers would encourage us to read stories due to the fact that he was a good writer and was well known. But the thing that I did not know was that he was one of the many GLBT writers that wrote about their orientation and that in a way illuminated their experience.
I think that the GLBT community sees this work as an inspiration in accepting who they are in terms of their orientation. It has aslo helped in liberating those who appear to be trapped inside the closet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment