Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Favorite BLU Story

Challenges are the ones that make life interesting but doing it for a cause becomes meaningful. "Suzie Q" is one of the selections in the book Black like Us edited by Devon Carbado. In this story it points out the life of a black lesbian street woman where she lives the reality of being a prostitute. She starts as a prostitute in order to have money to support herself and her children.

I liked this story for the reason that I thought that this character was brave enough in having to go through that kind of experiences. Suzie shows to be poor where she does not have another path to choose than becoming a prostitute. Having no other choice she knew that she had to do it in order to support her children. She showed confidence in being a better person by trying to do anything for the people who she loves the most even though she had to sacrifice her body. At first I was shocked to know that she was living that kind of life since most people do that for money but her situation was a necessity.

I valued that she had the courage to go on and not to give up. Her actions in this story in choosing prostitution made me think about a lot of things. It was obvious to see that her goals could not be met making her choose prostitution over other things because of her economic need. Her character demonstrated that she is capable to do anything in order to reach beyond her limits. True bravery was shown in this character where I was able to see that she is capable of doing anything for survival.

No comments: